Centers for Independent Living
What should I know about Centers for Independent Living?
Centers for Independent Living are community-based, non-residential agencies for individuals with disabilities that provide an array of independent living services. There 6 centers throughout the state. The following locations serve surrounding counties in the region:
- Knoxville (disABILITY Resource Center)
- Nashville (Empower TN)
- Memphis (Memphis Center for Independent Living)
- Paris (TARP Center for Independent Living)
- Chattanooga (Tri-State Resource and Advocacy Corp.)
- Jackson (Jackson Area Center for Independent Living)
Services and programs vary depending on the location, but include:
- Information and Referral
- Independent Living Skills Training
- Transition to Home Based Services
- Peer Support
- Technology Courses
- Braille Services
- Advocacy Resources
- Controls 4 Control (equip personal vehicles with hand controls) (Middle Tennessee location only)
What should students know about Centers for Independent Living?
- Centers for Independent Living are located across the state.
- These centers help you live independently after you graduate. These centers are non-residential.
- They can help you with:
- Household budgeting
- Writing job applications and interviewing
- Taking care of yourself
- Personal safety
- These centers can sometimes provide you with technology you need to work and live independently
How can I partner with the Centers for Independent Living?
- Collaborate with your local Center for Independent Living for a series of independent living skill lessons. Here are some examples of topics to cover:
- Assistive technology in the workplace
- Transportation skills
- Budgeting and paying bills
If a CIL representative can’t attend many in-person classes, consider having them record a lesson on Zoom or Skype. Play this video in class, combined with activities.
- Invite a CIL representative to come for an afternoon and be interviewed by students about independent living skills.
How do I contact the Centers for Independent Living?
Access the contact information for the Center of Independent Living in your region on this directory
Where do I find more information about Centers for Independent Living?
Video and Downloadable Resource: Transition TN Supports and Partnerships
Individual Center Websites are found here: