Tennessee Rehabilitation Center (TRC) – Smyrna
What should I know about the Tennessee Rehabilitation Center-Smyrna?
The Tennessee Rehabilitation Center – Smyrna (TRC) is a state-operated training center with temporary living in dorms and apartments that provides Career and Technical Education (CTE) to prepare individuals with disabilities for greater independence and competitive integrated employment in their local communities. Through its Areas of Study and enhancement courses, TRC teaches the skills needed for employment that enables students to obtain the proficiency, certifications and/or credentials needed to succeed in today’s labor market. Located 25 miles south of Nashville, TRC-Smyrna serves clients of the Tennessee Department of Human Services Division of Rehabilitation Services from all 95 counties of the state.
TRC offers eleven career and technical education areas of Study:
- Automotive Detailing Technician
- Automotive Maintenance & Lubrication Technician
- Business Education Technology
- Certified Logistics Associate (CLA/CLT) Technician
- Certified Nurses Assistance (CNA)
- Certified Production Technician (CPT)
- Customer Care
- Food Service
- Pharmacy Technician
- Power Equipment Technology
- Community Training (on site)
- Student Advisor Guidance
- Distance Learning
Disability Services (DS)
- Workplace Accommodations
- Assistive Technology
- Deaf, Deaf-Blind, and Hard of Hearing Services
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Services
Student Employment Services (SES)
- Employability Skills
- Job Development/Job Placement
- Life Management Skills
- Student Government
- Leadership Academy
- Ambassador’s Club
- Residential Student Volunteer Assistant
- Wellness Center
- Occupational, Physical, and Speech Therapy
- Work Hardening/Work Conditioning
- Behavior Education
- Vocational Evaluation
What should students know about the Tennessee Rehabilitation Center?
- If you are a VR client and are interested in attending TRC, speak to a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor located in your area/region.
- Students must be eighteen (18) years of age, seventeen (17) if registering only as a day student and have a current health and safety clearance.
- TRC operates on a Quarter system and student enrollment is to be scheduled at least two (2) months prior to the beginning of each quarter.
- The student must have the ability to function in an independent campus living setting.
- Students must be able to safely navigate the TRC campus both physically and cognitively.
- Admission of the student will not jeopardize his/her safety or the welfare of others receiving services at TRC.
How can I partner with the Tennessee
Rehabilitation Center for Pre-ETS?
- Take a field trip to tour TRC Smyrna
- Develop a “TRC Bingo” or other game to encourage students to ask questions and seek out information during the trip.
- Collaborate with a TRC instructor on a resume-writing workshop for students receiving pre-ETS.
- Help a student apply to TRC Smyrna summer camp.
- Set up a mentorship for a student who is interested in one of the TRC training areas.
- Collaborate with TRC to identify employers who could be a potential mentor for the student.