Disability Disclosure in the Workplace
At the end of this activity you will be able to explain what disability disclosure is and decide if there would be a need to disclose your disability given sample situations.
Pre-ETS Connection: Self-Advocacy and Workplace Readiness
Review the Disability Disclosure in the Workplace Fact Sheet along with any other resources and complete the activity below.
- What are your strengths and abilities that could help you be successful at this job?
- Do you understand your disability and what supports are helpful to you?
- Do you have examples of accommodations you have used and know how they help you?
- How can you make sure you fully understand and can meet the job requirements?
- Do you feel like you would need to disclose your disability to be able to meet the job requirements?
Making a decision about disclosing your disability is personal and can change depending on your situation. During this activity, you will experience how the combination of your strengths and needs, the workplace, and the job requirements can impact your decision of whether or not to disclose your disability.
- Select a game card
- Locate the workplace category on the game card and roll the die
- Match the number you roll to the workplace with the same number (Ex : You roll a 4, so use the workplace next to number 4)
- Roll again to get a job requirement
- Picture the employee on their first day of work. Would they need accommodations for this scenario? Do you think they would need to disclose their disability?
- Next, create a game card using your preferences, interests needs, and strengths and play as if you are the employee
Review the Disability Disclosure in the Workplace fact sheet along with any other resources and complete the activity below.
Complete an informational interview. Review the answers from the interview and think about if you would need accommodations as an employee with the job title. Think about if you would need to disclose your disability.
- Set up an informational interview in person, on the phone, or on a video call with a business in your community
- Download the Interview Recording Sheet
- Ask the manager or another employee to explain the job requirements for one of the job titles an employee could have at the business
- Answer the reflection questions as you think about if you would need or want to disclose your disability if you had the job title
- If you had this position, what strengths do you have that would help you to meet the job requirements?
- Do you think you would need any supports or accommodations to be able to meet the job requirements?
- Do you think you would need to disclose your disability if you were given this position? Why or why not?