Taking the time to review and prepare students for worksite tours is important. When students ask questions, they gain a comprehensive understanding of the tasks and skills required for that business. It helps students develop an in-depth understanding of the job and industry. Below is a list of possible questions students can ask on worksite tours. You can have students brainstorm additional questions that target the job position and industry of the worksite.
- How long have you been in this position/industry/field?
- What is a typical workday like?
- What do you like best about your job? Why?
- What is your least favorite task? Why?
- What is the most challenging part of your job?
- What led you to your current career/job?
- What type of interests, abilities, and skills would help a person to be successful in your occupation?
- What type of education/training, technical knowledge, or experience is necessary for this kind of work?
- How do you use math, reading, writing, business, technology, science, and foreign language skills in your daily work?
- What advice would you give a student interested in this career?
- What type of starting position and salary would someone entering this field be most likely to find?
- How do your co-workers or others help you in your job?
- Do you work in teams?
- Has technology changed your job? What changes do you see in the future?
- Are there other industries or positions where you could work with your skills?
- Are certain times of the month or year busier than others times?
- What are the opportunities for advancement in this occupation?
- What part-time jobs, internships, or extracurricular activities would best prepare you for this occupation?
Ideas for Implementation
- Students bring the above list of questions with them to the site.
- Students choose one or two questions they will be responsible for asking at the site.
- Students can have their questions on an index card for easy access.
- Students research the industry and formulate career specific questions.
- As a line prep worker, do you get the opportunity to cook items?
- How did you learn your knife skills?
- As a as assistant, are you responsible for answering phone calls?
- What computer skills do you need to do your job?
- Students can practice asking each other the questions prior to a visit.